Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Easy to Hard to follow...

The Green Book is one of the few books that have captured my attention about how to go green? It is very interesting to see all the different things that I can do to help the environment. Some of them are easy, but of course there are things that will take me some time to do them.

Here are the things what I find easy to hard of following:

1: Since I got bank card I have been using it for everything that I buy. And I end up with a lot of atm’s receipts in my bag from things that I don’t even remember. However, lately I have stopped asking for receipts, which means that this would not become a problem for me.

2: Each time that I go to a grocery I get new bag, even if it is for a small item. However, at home my mom uses the plastic bags to put other items and for the garbage. We reuse the bags at home, but not all of them. When I read this part it reminded me of my country Ecuador. I remember that each time that we used to the supermarket my grandmother and the other woman used to take big bags and baskets for the groceries. It was really unusual to find plastic bags in the streets. But, I think that now things have change.

3: My family buys two boxes of bottle water of a gallon twice a month. We have thought of buying a water filter, but we cannot because we share the apartment with another family. And you know people do not take care of things that are theirs. Of course they are going to use it, but let’s just say they are careless.


4: At home we have a lot of electrical devices plug in the entire day. It consumes a lot of energy, but it is something that we have not paid a lot of attention. It is hard because first of all we are lazy. Also, after getting of work we just want to seat and turn the TV or radio. I do not want to spend my free time connecting the devices. This is going to take quite a time for me to follow.


5: I waste a lot of water while brushing, taking a bath, washing the dishes and flushing. It is something, that I have never pay attention to it. But, this class has helped me to see all the water that I waste each time I do a different activity. But, even after been aware of the situation I still keep on doing it. There are sometimes where I had turn off the water, but it is something that is taking a lot of me to follow.

6: The hardest thing that will take me a lot of time is recycling. First of all I have never in my life recycle something, so I don’t know how to do it. Also, I live in a building where it impossible to do recycle. I mean it is not required to recycle. In addition, I don’t have a lot of space at the apartment to have different containers for each different material. I am aware of the situation but it is going to take me a long time to follow.

1 comment:

LovelyDiamond said...

I definitely need to follow your steps too. I bought eco bags so that when I shop I wouldn't use plastic bags, but do you think I have carried with them nope. Makes no sense, and I'm always buying bottled water. Water filters just don't seem to work to me and get messed up quickly. I also used to always get an atm receipt, I felt I needed one in case they ever tried to screw me over, hope that doesn't happen. And recycling, i understand 100% I've never done it and my building doesn't require it, but Ima start. So good luck to us and everybody else on their simple steps.