Friday, May 2, 2008

Getting closer to the answer...

For my research paper I decided to pick a small country, but very special and unique. I picked my own country Ecuador. Ecuador is located Western South America, bordering the Pacific Ocean at the Equator, between Colombia and Peru. Ecuador is divided into four regions: the Amazon, the Highlands, the Coast, and the Galapagos Islands. Ecuador is a small and poor country that is facing a lot of problems. In addition, a lot of people and countries have being taking advantage of my country and destroying its natural resources. One of the biggest problems that my country is facing is happening in the Amazons region. The Amazons is populated by a lot of people, indigenous, a huge amount of plants and animals. All of these living beings are suffering by the destruction of their environment, due to petroleum and the aerial spraying that started happing some years ago.

Texaco is the oil company responsible for the contamination of the land and water. Texaco started working in Ecuador approximately 30 years ago. During all the time that they spend at Ecuador they didn’t respect the environment. They throw all the waste into the water and land. They didn’t even fixed the broken oil pipes. All of these responsibilities poised the land and water of many people, plants and animals. This has become a great issue since different people are getting health problems, just as mutations and new diseases.

The second problem that is affecting the Amazons is the aerial spraying. The aerial spraying is not being done by our country, but by our neighbor country Colombia. The government of Colombia has decided to due aerial spraying to kill all the plantations of cocaine. This has become a problem for us since the aerial spraying is being done at the borders of Colombia and Ecuador. All these chemicals are poising the land and water of many rivers that a lot of people are depending on. In addition, people are getting a direct contact with these chemicals during the spraying.

I decided to pick this topic for my research for many different reasons. The first and most important is because a serious crises that my people is facing. In addition, I want to get more knowledge of this problem. I wasn’t aware of this problem because I didn’t use to put a lot of attention to the things that were going in my country. I want to see how the Amazons are being destroyed. It is really sad to see how a beautiful place that is the house of many people, animals and plants is being destroyed by our negligent. The most important thing I want to learn who the responsible people are. Furthermore, I want to see the things that the government of my country is doing to help these people.

With this research paper I hope to reach different people. I want to inform Ecuadorians that live in other countries about the crises that their country is facing. In addition, I want to demonstrate regular people the price that innocent people are paying so we can get our lives easier. Perhaps this paper can capture the attention of professional people that can help my country to restore its environment and help the people with their health.

So far I have being able to gather a lot of information about my topic. I am using reports from the United Nations, a couple of books, reports from local newspapers, a blogs, and YouTube Videos. All of these sources contain information about the effect of the petroleum and aerial spraying to the environment. Each resource contains different information that is related to my topic. They do not only inform about the conditions of the environment, but also about the solutions that people and indigenous are looking for. Furthermore, the videos and some articles contain the personal experiences of these people.

"Watch me, I need to be spread"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must say that watching that video made my stomach turn. The way a major multi-billion dollar company can destroy the Amazon and the living beings that inhabit that area is disgusting.

My heart goes out to those hopeless people.

Hopefully your hard work on this research paper will open Texaco's eyes. They are responsible and should clean up and compensate the people of the Amazon region.

I know exactly how you must feel.

Good Luck

christina said...

i think its really cool your doing your paper on your country. while your doing research on your paper yu can find out more about the history of where your from and all the troubles it faced and maybe you can be the one to find a way to stop it :) good luck on your paper

playablue said...

I think you have it narrowed enough to where you have a great paper.

Doctor X said...

You seem to have a clear idea of what you want to write and to whom—good job. I suggest that you focus on your fellow Ecuadorians outside Ecuador as the main audience. That way your paper will not sound like you are just copying the video (excellent video, by the way) or other sources. Remember that it is ok to use sources in Spanish.

You could have a digital version that includes the YouTube video—images sometimes are more powerful than words.

Another idea is to follow the format for the research paper I provide in BB6 under Assignments.